This chronology tracks the church's architectural growth. [source: tour notes]

1936 Chapel building and plaza built. The chapel was 38 ft. wide x 59 ft long (2,242 sq. feet).
1940 Small offices.
1941 church sold Joesler/Murphey land and offices on NW corner of Campbell & River Roads to a developer.
1947 Chapel of the Nativity was built and called the "West Transept." The El Merendero tea room and restaurant, next door to the Church on the east, was purchased in the spring of 1950 by John Murphey and sold to the Church for $35,000. It was enlarged into classrooms and offices and named La Parroquia (“parish hall”).
1951 A classroom, the Murphey Gallery, a cloistered patio, and storage room.
1954 Parish offices.
1957 Nave expanded 50 feet to the north (38 ft. wide x 109 ft. long. Seating capacity: 504. East side aisle was built. Choir moved to nave floor. Baptistry was built. Chapel refurbished. Three cloistered gardens built. Gordon Mass Luepke was the architect due to Josias Joesler’s death.
1960 Outside Columbarium was built; 540 vaults with Mexican tile faces.)
1961 Nursery building.
1963-64 Classrooms renovated.
1969 Ned Nelson appointed the Church’s architect.
1980 New crafts/workshop area. Expanded parking. New sound system. More church schoolrooms added.
1981-82 Buildings were renovated to accommodate and provide access for persons with disabilities. After Fr. William E. Perry’s death two weeks after Easter, 1982, the north patio was rebuilt and named for his long years of service to St. Philip’s. Classroom wing remodeled. Offices added.
1986 West and East Transept added. Rear of the nave was expanded south. Nave seating capacity: 587. The columns had to be reinforced and recast to make them earthquake-proof. New Holscamp organ was installed. The two choir stalls. were elevated.
1987 Outside columbarium garden and wall. Carillon installed.
1998 The Roger O. Douglas Children’s Center and the Bloom Music Center were built (18,000 sq. ft.)
2003 The King Center and the quiet garden were built in the La Parroquia area.

In 2004, the St. Philip’s campus occupies seven acres with 40,000-sq. ft. of buildings.