End Notes

Chapter 1 End Notes

(1) Sister St. Martin died in Tucson July 1, 1929, age 79 yrs. She had returned to Tucson in 1924 after sustaining a fractured hip at St. Boniface Indian School, Banning, California, where she was serving as dressmaker.

(2) I have found no specific reasons for the cause of the "destitute children." However three causes might have been mining accidents; the loss of life in the Apache War which continued until Geronimo's surrender in 1886; disease. Smallpox and scarlet fever were frequent causes of the death of adults as well as of children

Chapter 2 End Notes

(3) It is interesting to note that as late as 1915 the building contract states that the construction was made "according to the specifications of the Mother Superior," with no mention of an architect.

(4) The Corporation was renewed December 18, 1930 and again December 18. 1955. On June 28, 1957 St. Mary's Hospital decided to form a separate Corporation, under the title of "St. Mary's Hospital of Tucson." There was no change in the ownership or management of the hospital. Sister Agnes Claire Gubser was President of the Corporation; Sister Elizabeth Joseph Scherer, Vice President; Sister Eleanor Klotz, Secretary. Sister Elizabeth Joseph explained the reason for the separation; law suits against hospitals were becoming more and more common. If all the convents of the Congregation in Arizona were involved in a claim against the hospital. the effect could be devastating.

(5) Frank Skully had been a patient at St. Mary's for a long time. He actually paid his bills with his pen by producing commically illustrated volumes popular with T. B. patients who were bedfast for so long a period. Later his writings turned to more serious topics. He and his wife, Lady Alice, were honored by the Pope for their good works.

Chapter 3 End Notes

(6) To assist the Medical Records Librarian, Margaret Monroe, an Auxilian, and I surveyed thousands of aged records; confirmed essential data on file cards; burned the records and microfilmed the cards.

(7) Queen conceived without sin; Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.

Chapter 4 End Notes

(8) Dr. Edgar R. Sizer graduated from Northwestern University School of Medicine. Chicago in 1937, and received his license in 1938. He was, therefore, an extern while serving at St. Mary's. Dr. Danstrom was his schoolmate.

(9) In September 1969 the library building was demolished to give place for the Helena Rascob Corcoran Addition. In the upper two feet of earth surrounding this building many artifacts of Pit-House Indians were found. Students of Dean Byron Cummings of the University of Arizona in the 1920's had recovered many Hohokam pottery and stone sculpture specimens during field trips and during one concentrated seminar conducted on the hospital property. These specimens, dated 900-1200 A.D., are preserved at the Arizona State Museum on the University of Arizona campus. Gilbert Ronstadt, born in Tucson in territorial days, relates that since childhood he has enjoyed treasure hunting on the hospital grounds. Among his specimens are charred corn kernels and beads which ants brought to the surface.

From "History of the School of Nursing" End Notes

(10) Sister Christina’s signature on Clinical Laboratory reports has a final a. Some records use a final e.

(11) Joined to the upper half of the patient's bed springs was a section which could be lifted to nearly a right angle supported by an attached bar that fitted into grooves in ring frame. Usually it required two strong nurses to elevate the head of a patient's bed. One nurse might support the patient while the other lifted the frame, or both nurses raised the frame, one on either side. Patients rarely got out of bed until the tenth post-operative day.

(12) Student nurses as well as the Sister worked 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. with time off provided by a rotating nurse. This was another of the practices that Sister Paula Marie strove to eliminate from student routine.

(13) Sister Rebecca had completed her nurses training at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Pasco, Washington before entering the convent.

From "Trek of the Seven Sisters" End Notes

(14) Bishop O'Gorman

(15) Father Francisco Jouvenceau was sent by Bishop Salpointe to meet the Sisters as soon as he received Reverend Mother’s delayed letter. This delay accounts for the Sisters not having been met in San Diego.

Part of which site